God speaks through human experience. Listen closely to the words of this
wisdom and this biblical wisdom:
1. Sukuma Ethnic Group, Tanzania Proverb: What goes into the stomach is not
Mark 7:18-19: "Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside
cannot defile, since it enters, not the heart but the stomach, and goes out into
2. Sukuma Ethnic Group, Tanzania Proverb: To laugh at a person with a
defective eye while you hide your own defects.
Matthew 7:3: "Why do you see the speck in your neighbor’s eye, but do not
notice the log in your own eye?"
3. Fipa Ethnic Group, Tanzania Proverb: God’s rain falls even on the witch
Matthew 5:45: "Your Father in heaven sends rain on the righteous and the
4. Kuria Ethnic Group, Kenya/Tanzania and Ngoreme Ethnic Group, Tanzania
Proverb: One person is thin porridge or gruel; two or three people are a handful
of stiff cooked corn meal.
Ecclesiastes 4:9,12: "Two are better than one…A threefold cord is not
5. Luyia Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: A child points out to you the direction
and then you find your way.
Isaiah 11:6: "A little child shall lead them."
6. Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: Two guests cannot be entertained
satisfactorily at the same time.
Matthew 6:24: “No one can serve two masters. You cannot serve God and
7. Luyia, Kenya and Swahili, Eastern Africa Proverb: Two roads overcame the
Matthew 6:24: "No one can serve two masters…You cannot serve God and
8. Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: He whose seeds have not germinated
does not put down the seed container.
Philippians 2:12: “Work out your salvation with fear and trembling.”
9. Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: To be hated by a human being is not to
be hated by God.
Matthew 10:28: “Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill
the soul; rather be afraid of the one who can destroy both soul and body in
10. Shona Ethnic Group, Zimbabwe and Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb:
Traveling is learning.
Sirach 39:5: “He travels among the peoples of foreign lands to learn what is
good and evil.”
11. Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: A word in the heart does not win.
Proverbs 31:8: “Open your mouth in behalf of the dumb, and for the rights of
12. Gikuyu Ethnic Group, Kenya Proverb: In this world there is no rest.
Lamentations 1:3: “Where she [Judah] lives among the nations, she finds no
place to rest.”